Sep 16, 2021
It’s officially fall! With temperatures cooling off and the transition out of swim season, it’s time to think about if you want to keep your pool open year-round. It’s important to make sure that if you do keep your pool open, you know how to properly care for it.
Why To Keep the Pool Open Through WinterIf you keep your pool open, it’s important to maintain your pool through those winter months and not let your pool fall by the wayside with month’s gone by and no upkeep. If you let your pool go neglected throughout the winter, you can actually do more harm than good, resulting in larger costs than you anticipated. Here are just a few of the reasons that year-round pool care could be the way to go!
- Enjoy your backyard in the winter instead of keeping up with a pool. Many people close their pool so that they don’t have to be responsible for the upkeep that comes with keeping the pool open. However, it shouldn’t be an all or nothing situation. You can keep your pool open and enjoy your free time by letting someone else do the heavy lifting. In fact, Pool Scouts specializes in year-round pool care if you decide to go that route.
- Avoid unexpected pool issues down the road. If you to leave your pool uncovered without maintaining it, this can lead to larger issues that will end up costing more time and money down the road, likely when you’re ready to start using the pool again. Avoid bigger issues by keeping up with cleanings and running the pool pump on a regular schedule.
- Have your pool swim-ready at a moment’s notice. With year-round maintenance, your pool will be clean and swim-ready when the weather warms up again. Waiting until warmer weather comes along to get your pool prepped can lead to delays in supplies or chemicals needed, especially with the current nation-wide supply shortages. By choosing year-round pool care, you’re guaranteeing your pool is ready when you are!
Tips for Maintaining Your Own Pool Year-roundIf you do decide to keep your pool open and want to handle it yourself, it’s important to keep these pool care tips in mind to ensure your pool stays healthy.
- Run the pool filter for 4 -5 hours a day (compared to the typical 10 – 12 hours during summer).
- Run the pool pump continuously when temps drop below freezing so that your pipes don’t freeze.
- Pools should be maintained and checked on a bi-weekly basis.