Spring Cleaning Your Home, Inside and Out
Spring is here! And that means it’s time to kick it into high gear to get your home and your yard fresh and clean. Now while all of us might not exactly become giddy with excitement at the thought of spring cleaning, it’s a great way to make a fresh start and honor the turn of the season.
Spring cleaning can seem overwhelming, so if you don’t know where to begin, we’ve put together some quick and easy areas of focus, complete with tips and tricks for freshening up your outdoor and indoor spaces!
Easy Steps to a Cleaner Yard
- Get Your Pool Swim Ready: If you have a pool, make sure it’s ready for warmer temps! If you closed your pool, open it early. If pool care is not your forte, leave it to the experts. Find your local Pool Scouts and give them a call today! Make sure to take care of all your pool care needs early this year. With the delay in shipping of supplies and chemicals this year due to COVID-19, it’s best to avoid the backup by getting your pool ready before the mad rush. Not to mention, you’ll get to enjoy swim season a little longer!
- Clean Out the Shed and Garage: After the winter season, it’s amazing what can accumulate in these spaces! Remove anything that’s broken or worn out. And for the remaining items, determine what you can donate or trash! Even take it a step further and install some easy shelving so you can keep everything in view and organized throughout the year. If you have a pool, this is also a good time to go through all the pool toys and throw away any that are damaged. There’s always at least one pool float that isn’t able to withstand the shed all winter.
- Get Ready for Grilling Season: With spring weather comes grilling season. Whip that grill into shape so it can be burger and dog-ready. The ultimate cleaning hack involves beer! Pour a half bottle of beer over the top of greasy grates on a warm grill. The beer will break down the oil and grease, and it will come right off when clean with a bristle brush. Good as new and ready for grilling all season long.
- Freshen Up Your Patio Furniture: With warm weather quickly approaching, be sure your outdoor furniture is ready for some serious lounging! Add a squirt of dish detergent to a bowl of warm water and then wipe down chairs and tables. And for a final touch, give it a spray of water from your hose! Your patio furniture will look good as new! And as a bonus, add string lights to complete your patio ambiance.
- Update Your Garden Bed: After the winter months, your garden will be covered with loose leaves, mulch, dead plants, weeds, unwanted compost, and maybe even poop from your pets (ew!). Removing larger pieces of debris by hand, such as dead branches and bushes, will give you a clearer view of the garden bed. This will allow you to see new weeds, smaller debris you will want to collect with a hand rake, along with plants and bulbs you may want to relocate to a different part of the garden. Here’s a handy list of what to plant in your garden in early spring, and best times to harvest.
- Doormats: Freshen up those doormats by hosing off and air drying the ones that sit outside. Give your inside doormats a good vacuum treatment. Pro tip: to trap more dirt coming from outside, use two mats – one outside the door and one just on the inside.
Tips for Spring Cleaning Your Home
- Marie Kondo Your Closet: Your closet is a great place to focus on during spring cleaning. Remove anything stained, in need of repair or just plain worn out – Marie Kondo style! For remaining clothing items, ask yourself, “when was the last time I wore this?”. It’s a great opportunity to make a large donation to Goodwill or other similar charities.
- Bedding: Tackle those bulky items we call bedding! Pillows and comforters should be cleaned at least two or three times a year, so they should be at the top of your list during your spring cleaning. Pro tip: Check the manufacturer’s label before tossing them into the washing machine to make sure you’re cleaning them the proper way.
- Deep Clean the Kitchen Sink: In addition to giving your sink a good wipe down, clean the inside of it too! Put a few lemon rinds in the drain and run your garbage disposal to leave your sink smelling fresh. Bye-bye funky smells!
- Fridge Clean-out: Remove everything from your refrigerator and give those shelves and doors a thorough wipe down. This also a great opportunity to throw out any old or expired food/condiments! Pro tip: Our friends at Home Clean Heroes can clean your fridge for you! Ask about this add-on option to any residential service. Hint, they can clean your oven too!
Following these easy steps will get you that much closer to spring cleaning bliss! If your pool is in need of some serious TLC before the warm temperatures arrive or if you’re looking for regular pool care maintenance, give us a call today at 844-775-2742! We’ll keep your pool cannonball ready at all times. Happy cleaning!